How To Know When to “Dump” Your Doctor
By: Dr. Erika Schwartz, Medical Director of Cinergy Health (www.cinergyhealth.com)
With so much debate these days over healthcare, you may feel lucky just to have any doctor. But do you have the right doctor? If you’re not sure or feel like you just “do what your told” be sure to watch out for these 5 signs that it’s time to end a doctor-patient relationship:
1. Your doctor doesn’t listen to you or treats you in a condescending manner.
2. You have to sit in the waiting room for 30 minutes or more. This is a clear sign that the practice is too busy, and it’s practically impossible for a doctor to give you good care when she’s following a stopwatch.
3. Tests results came in, but no one called you. This is another sign that the office is either too busy or disorganized to give your health top priority.
4. Your doctor made a really big mistake. No one’s perfect, and even doctors are allowed to mess up from time to time, but they should ’fess up ASAP and explain why it happened. If she majorly misdiagnosed you or the mistake was obvious, you need a new doctor.
5. Your doctor’s record is tarnished. There are too many good doctors out there who are available to treat you, so there’s no excuse to settle for any physician with a bad reputation. Do a quick Google search for your doctor’s name to see if lots of malpractice claims pop up.