“Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food.”
The aforementioned quote has been widely attributed to Hippocrates, the father of medicine. Now, we can only suppose that when he said this, he was talking about those superfoods which display antibiotic properties.
Long before the use of allopathic medicines, these foods helped in preventing infections and disease on a regular basis. These foods help build your immune system and in the cleansing of your blood. The wonderful thing is that these natural antibiotics are easily available on the market and will not make a big dent in your pocket like most pharmaceutical antibiotics.
So here’s taking a look at the top 6 common foods that have strong antibiotic properties.
1) Manuka Honey – Most of us will agree that honey is extremely palatable and serves as a delicious, healthy alternative to sugar. However, many people are still unaware of its antibiotic properties.
Since ancient times, honey has always been used as medication for a range of health-related problems like allergies, sore throats, inflammatory bowel ailments, tooth decay and gingivitis, apart from improving immunity and sleep patterns of course.
Manuka Honey is honey that has been produced from the nectar of the Manuka tree found in Australia and New Zealand. This kind of honey is known to contain more antibiotic properties than regular honey.
According to a study conducted by the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the best thing about this form of honey is that it works against bugs that have otherwise developed resistance towards regular antibiotics.
2) Garlic – Garlic is known to contain a compound called allicin which has similar properties to that of penicillin. Hence, this superfood has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-parasitic and anti-fungal properties. Garlic can be considered to be a potent antibiotic which is capable of remedying diseases such as jock-itch, stomach cancer and athlete’s foot.
Research has also shown it helps reduce the risk of developing colon and rectal cancer. Furthermore, consuming high doses of aged garlic extract over a period of twelve months reduces the chances of developing tumors.
According to an article by renowned MDs Michelle H. Loy and Richard S. Rivlin, garlic also contains anti-oxidant and anti-thrombosis properties, thus rendering it hugely useful in alleviating health problems related to age such as Alzheimer’s and heart diseases.
3) Cabbage – Naturally antibacterial in nature, consuming cabbage in any form is one of the best ways of preventing diseases, improving digestion and even managing your weight! A member of the cruciferous family (broccoli and kale), this vegetable contains sulfur compounds which are used by the body to produce the antioxidant ‘Glutathione’, which helps in fighting cancer and eliminates harmful bacteria in our body. Also unknown to most people is the fact that cabbage contains a lot of vitamin C (36.6mg per 100 grams, according to The United States Department of Agriculture), thus enabling you to fulfill almost 75% of your daily vitamin C needs.
4) Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – Through the course of time, Apple Cider Vinegar, or ACV, has been used in the treatment of various ailments such as flu, sore throat, candida, ear infections, acne and dandruff. ACV also has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antiseptic properties, and hence can help you combat anything from weight gain to cancer. ACV can also help in dissolving kidney stones and keeping type 2 diabetes in check by optimizing the blood’s interaction with insulin. Lastly, being a chemical-free astringent, ACV can also be used to disinfect and sterilize.
5) Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) – Grapefruit Seed Extract, or GSE, is a natural antibiotic that is high in many antioxidants. GSE helps boost your immunization, alkalizes the body naturally and aids in digestion.
According to a study from The Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine, GSE is able to destroy an astonishing 800 different strains of bacteria and viruses. GSE can also get rid of over 100 types of fungi and other single-celled parasites, thus making it one of the most beneficial natural antibiotics available to human beings.
Another study by the Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Texas A&M University concludes that GSE also displays anti-cancer properties and helps reduce cholesterol in humans. It also fights yeast infections and is used as a vaginal douche. Some other uses of GSE are in the treatment of atherosclerosis, psoriasis, eczema, acnes and oily skin.
6) Oregano Oil Extract – Derived from the leaves and flowers of the oregano plant, oregano oil extract is considered to have anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. This potentially makes it a super antibiotic that is 100% natural. It can be used both internally and externally in the treatment of wounds, respiratory ailments, digestive ailments and even common cold.
It also contains chemicals that help in preventing premature menopause and reducing the severity of menstrual cramps.
A recent report by the United States Department of Agriculture confirms that oregano oil can also be used effectively against salmonella and E.coli. Packed with antioxidants, it also helps in strengthening your immune system.
Insider’s Health Exclusive –>>: Click Here to Find out The ONE “Weird Trick” that reduces your terminal disease risk by OVER 70% (and NONE of us are doing it)