Cancer affects people of all walks of life. It does not discriminate against age, color or status. It’s likely that you know someone, whether an acquaintance or someone near and dear to your heart, who has been touched by cancer. Perhaps you yourself have even struggled with the disease. Fortunately, scientists are learning more and more about ways to prevent and fight the big “C” – even simple, everyday changes you can make in your life or your diet. Keep reading to discover 6 foods you should be adding to your anti-cancer regimen.
The phrase, “you are what you eat” is true. If you eat unhealthy foods, your body will follow suit and become susceptible to the many diseases out there . . . waiting and ready to attack. Don’t wait until you have been diagnosed with a fatal disease to start taking care of yourself! Begin making adjustments now to help prevent the destruction a disease can have on you and your loved ones.
Foods that could help prevent cancer or help fight abnormal cell growth in people diagnosed with cancer include:
1. Avocados: This green fruit (yes, fruit) has chemicals rich in antioxidants that attack free radicals within the body (free radicals are thought to be a major contributor to cancer and other diseases). Avocados are known for helping fight liver cancer and liver damage.
2. Chili peppers and jalapenos: These peppers, as well as other hot peppers, contain capsaicin. Capsaicin is a chemical that neutralizes cancer-causing substances, such as the nitrosamines that lead to stomach cancer.
3. Broccoli: This hearty green has been known to help prevent colon and prostate cancers.
4. Flax: Flax contains antioxidants, and when the seeds are crushed, oils to help fight cancer are released. Flax is considered to be one of the most effective foods for fighting cancer and protecting your heart against heart disease.
5. Garlic: Don’t let the odor stop you – garlic is wonderful for your immune system. It is believed to block carcinogens and slow the development and growth of tumors. Garlic has also been shown to help fight against stomach cancer.
6. Grapefruits, oranges, and grapes: Citrus fruits such as grapefruit and oranges have the amazing power to literally push carcinogens out of the body. They contain high levels of Vitamin C, folic acid and beta carotene, which can inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells. Grapes contain Resveratrol, which has shown promise in fighting age-related diseases.
Simply by adding the above foods to your daily diet, you can take steps to proactively fight the onset of cancer and other age-related diseases.