We have all heard of “fad” diets on the news, on the radio, on television, and the internet. Fad diets proclaim to be the quickest, easiest way to lose weight and look great. Uncovering the pros and cons of fad dieting can be tough, so knowing the basics is essential.What really is fad dieting?
A fad diet can be described as a trendy, briefly popular diet plan that promotes rapid weight loss quickly. Some popular fad diets over the years have included The Atkins, The South Beach Diet, and The Cabbage Soup Diet. Some others include The Drinking Man’s Diet, God’s Diet, and The Scarsdale Diet. Fad diets are generally viewed as unhealthy and short-termed.
What are signs of a fad diet?
Signs can include:
· Dropping weight too quickly (more than 1 or 2 pounds a week)
· Eliminating certain food groups or severe calorie restrictions
· Contradicts health specialists or nutrition experts
· Has claims that seem far –fetched or miraculous
· Neglects physical activity
· Promises success to everyone
· Does not include scientific evidence, but rather testimonials
What are the pros of a fad diet?
Pros generally include quick weight loss.
What are the cons of a fad diet?
There can be several cons to fad dieting. Since weight loss is so rapid, it can be unsafe and unhealthy. Fast weight loss also results in certain side effects such as bone loss, muscle loss, deprivation of vitamins and minerals, and slowing down metabolism. Fad diets do not provide optimal nutrition due to severe restriction in caloric intake. Most fad diets have little clinical evidence to support its claims, and rely mostly on testimonials.
What is the appeal of a fad diet?
Fad diets have come into demand due to the promise of immediate results. Even though it is touted to be instantaneous, it can be unsafe and not good for you in the long run.
What is the best way to lose weight?
Finding a program that works for you is very important and key to success. One that includes physical activity and a balanced, healthy diet is the best for long-term health. Losing weight should be a lifestyle change, and not just another diet. You can change your weight simply by adjusting your eating habits slightly. Gradually exchange foods for healthier versions. (Love fried chicken? Try baked chicken. ) Replace certain foods with low-fat or fat free versions.
How can I ensure diet success?
· Enlist emotional support
· Set goals that are achievable and reasonable
· Try healthier foods
· Engage in physical Activities
· View your diet as a lifestyle change, and not just another diet http://mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/HQ01625