6 Natural Testosterone Boosters to Improve Your Performance
Few can claim the hormonal star power for which testosterone is known. In the endocrinology world, testosterone is like Rambo; a big name, high octane superstar. However not unlike most stars, testosterone has its naysayers as well, and has been given a bad reputation in some regards. Most of the bad rap testosterone has gotten is due to synthetic versions, including anabolic steroids. The real deal testosterone, produced inside the human body, is known for its health attributes, such as enhanced lean muscle mass, reduced body fat, and increased sex drive, among others. So how do you crank up the testosterone? The good news is that to produce more natural testosterone, only natural changes need to be made. Keep reading for a list of the 6 most popular natural testosterone boosters and how they work!
The 6 most popular natural testosterone boosters and how they work:
1. Tribulus Terrestris – The extract of this herb, also known as Puncture Vine, works by increasing the body’s production of luteinizing hormone (LH), which also spurs further testosterone production. It is reportedly used by Eastern European athletes to aid performance.
2. Avena Sativa – This is an extract from wild oats, and is said to free up “bound” testosterone thus boosting the blood’s testosterone supply. This supplement is also said to have a mild sedative effect, aiding a good night’s sleep.
3. ZMA – A patented, anabolic complex of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6, ZMA is much more than your multi-vitamin can do. The specific ratio and types of these ingredients has been shown to increase free testosterone levels up to 30 percent.
4. Steroidal Alkaloids – Though this sounds rather harsh by name, it is a natural compound derived from high sterol-containing plants purported to boost testosterone production by increasing the body’s supply of LH (similar to Tribulus). This option is said to become more effective over time, removing the need to cycle testosterone boosters.
5. Eurycoma Longifolia Jack – Known as Tongkat Ali in Malaysia, also known as Longjack, this is a small evergreen tree that grows in the rainforests of Southeast Asia. Evidence is lacking in regards to how this supplement boosts testosterone, but animal studies showing increased mounting behavior show much promise. As an added benefit, Longjack is said to also increase energy.
6. 6-OXO – An androgenic metabolite shown to have estrogen-blocking capacities, 6-OXO binds to the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to estrogen. This results in greater stores of testosterone, and lower levels of estrogen . . . a two-in-one bonus!
So regardless of whether you’re looking to pack on a few pounds of muscle, regain the sex drive of your teenage years, or simply be as “manly” as possible, boosting your body’s natural testosterone production is a key consideration. Luckily there are a myriad of testosterone boosting supplements available in you health food store.
Many of these products will be a blend of the ingredients above, and can boost testosterone production without the side effects of unnatural testosterone boosters like steroids. Most testosterone boosting supplements are recommended to be taken in cycles as to not have any effect on the body’s natural production mechanisms. Follow the label and when in doubt consult your physician or other healthcare provider.