5 Easy Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
Your body burns calories and fat through metabolism—and the higher your metabolism is, the easier it is to maintain a healthy weight or shed excess pounds. But are you stuck with the metabolism you’re born with? While metabolism is largely determined by your genes, there are things you can do to give it a kick start. Keep reading for five ways to naturally boost your metabolism!
Wish your metabolism wasn’t so sluggish? Try these five tips to get it moving in high-gear:
1. Drink more water. Water is an essential part of all of the body’s systems, including the metabolic system. Research has shown that people who drink eight to ten 8-ounce glasses of water a day have higher metabolic rates than people who drink four glasses or fewer. To make sure you’re getting enough H20, keep a bottle of water on your desk at work and drink from it every hour on the hour, and try to take a few sips of water at the beginning of every meal.
2. Don’t crash diet. The more weight you lose in an unhealthy way—too fast, for example, or following a plan that drops calorie intake to an unsafe level—the lower your metabolic rate will be. That’s because you’re more likely to lose muscle instead of fat. To keep this from happening, follow a realistic and safe weight loss plan (approved by a medical professional, especially if you have a preexisting health condition) and add regular strength training to your exercise routine.
3. Eat plenty of protein. Compared to fat and carbs, protein takes more energy to break down—a process that can nearly double your metabolism’s rate. Try to get about 25 percent of your daily calories from protein to get your metabolism at an optimal level.
4. Spice up your food. Chili peppers and other hot peppers contain capsaicin, the heat-filled ingredient that speeds up metabolism by as much as 25 percent. Try adding a little hot sauce to scrambled eggs and stews or sprinkling red pepper flakes on pizza, pasta, and chili. Can’t take the heat? Try a capsaicin supplement instead.
5. Drink green and oolong tea. Both varieties of tea contain catechins, natural compounds that boost the metabolism. A large cup can raise metabolism by as much as five percent for an hour a more after it is consumed.
If you’re looking to drop a size or two and get to your goal faster by speeding up your metabolism, try these five simple tricks. You’ll soon be saying bye-bye to your fat pants once and for all.