5 Deadly Drugs that Are Putting Your Child at Risk
Children are curious creatures and anything that is within reach is quickly inspected and then headed towards the mouth. So, if you are on medication for high blood pressure, pain medication, or pills to control diabetes, without you even knowing it, you could be putting your children at risk.
One quick glance away, one turn of the head…that’s all it takes. And just one pill in a young child's body is potentially deadly. All it takes is a second and a youngster could be swallowing something that could be fatal.
Make sure this doesn't happen to any child in your home.
Here is a list of five of the most dangerous medications for children. If you take any of them, make sure they are securely out of harm’s way.
Over-the-counter painkillers–aspirin in large doses is extremely toxic for children. They can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and in the worse case scenario they can lead to seizures, coma and eventually death.
And its not just pills you have to worry about. Liquid Oil of Wintergreen has a sweet smell that toddlers find very tempting. The problem is that only 1 teaspoon of it is the equivalent of taking almost 90 baby aspirins–a possibly fatal dose.
Antidepressants–depression drugs such as Wellbutrin and Zyban are the second highest source of poisoning deaths in children six and under. Symptoms may not show until six hours later. Until then you may have no idea they’ve ingested the pills.
Drugs to treat diabetes–these medications cause dangerously low blood sugar, sleepiness, headaches, confusion, and in some cases, death. Children who are not diabetic can suffer some pretty serious consequences if they ingest these medications. If accidental ingestion does occur, you could save a child’s life by giving them sugar to raise there glucose levels.
Drugs containing camphor–these include muscle rubs such as Tiger Balm, Ben Gay, and Vick's VapoRub. These products are extremely dangerous because the damage is done so quickly. Within 10 to 20 minutes children can experience seizures. Even one teaspoon can be fatal. Call 911 immediately at the smallest whiff of camphor on your child’s breath.
Prescription painkillers–the leading cause of death due to accidental ingestion is prescription painkillers. They can lead to lethargy, sleepiness, and finally breathing cessation, which eventually will lead to death. Just 25 mg tablets can come cause severe illness in as little as an hour.
While we can’t keep an eye on our children 24/7, we can take every precaution to minimize the risk of any harm coming their way. This list of 5 dangerous drugs is far from all-inclusive. Always make sure all adult medications are out of the reach of curious children.